Hello from Springfield, OH

MidwestExpress

Hello from Springfield, OH

Unread post by MidwestExpress » Fri May 05, 2017 10:43 am

Hey Everyone,

My name is Wes and I am new to the forums. Background is limited to basic welding like trailer frames, projects, and repairs. I have not gotten the chance to do any metalsmithing at all. I am changing that! I am wanting to mostly get into bladesmithing but want to be able to do other work like fireplace guards and fire pit racks for cooking.

I have space to setup for work, I just don't have the tools and the knowledge. I have been looking for classes around my area and the only metalsmithing class I have found is a couple hours away from home. I am hoping to get into a class depending on the limited availability they offer them.

I am hoping to get some guidance here and also hopefully find some local folks that I might be able to learn from.

I also need to start buying tools and start getting the basics together!

Darryl Ponder

Re: Hello from Springfield, OH

Unread post by Darryl Ponder » Sun May 07, 2017 6:59 am

Wes,

Welcome to the Guild's web forum! Feel free to ask questions. There are hundreds of metalsmiths on the site that are very willing to help out those getting started in blacksmithing.

I looked up the Ohio area on the ABANA website (https://www.abana.org/affiliates/affiliate_map.shtml) and found a blacksmithing organization that is close to you: http://www.sofablacksmiths.org/. You should contact them, check out their website and see what they have going on around your area.

You are always welcome here as well. I look forward to seeing photos of your works. If you ever get to the Minneapolis area, feel free to attend one of our meetings or come to our excellent Fall conference.

Regards,

Darryl

MidwestExpress

Unread post by MidwestExpress » Sun May 07, 2017 7:25 am

Darryl Ponder wrote:Wes,

Welcome to the Guild's web forum! Feel free to ask questions. There are hundreds of metalsmiths on the site that are very willing to help out those getting started in blacksmithing.

I looked up the Ohio area on the ABANA website (https://www.abana.org/affiliates/affiliate_map.shtml) and found a blacksmithing organization that is close to you: http://www.sofablacksmiths.org/. You should contact them, check out their website and see what they have going on around your area.

You are always welcome here as well. I look forward to seeing photos of your works. If you ever get to the Minneapolis area, feel free to attend one of our meetings or come to our excellent Fall conference.

Regards,

Darryl
Thanks Darryl,

I reached out to them again to find when their next round of classes are. That group is closer then the other group I found.

I am spending some time today to do so reading and video watching.

Thank you for the invite in Minn too!

Wes

MidwestExpress

Unread post by MidwestExpress » Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 am

Update: I got a reply back from SOFA.

------------------------------

Hi Wes yes our blacksmith classes that the club puts on are over. If there is enough interest and we can secure a instructor we could look at another one. Keep an eye on our web site. You should see a change in a month or so because we are getting a new site where you will be able to sign up for classes online.

------------------------------

I will be keeping my eye one the site and their new site to see if any classes open up. Online classes aren't what I am really looking for. I have been and will continue to watch videos and read but I would really like to find someone or someplace where I can hands on to learn. I am a visual and hands on learner. So it might just come down to working steel and picking it up as I go.

Now I need to source an anvil of sorts and decide on a forge to get started.

Martin Pansch

Unread post by Martin Pansch » Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 am

Hi Wes.

I'm guessing the actual classes won't be online, just that you can sign up for the classes online on their website.

SOFA is a good organization. Their annual conference had a reputation for being one of the best where you can see some great demonstrators and buy darn near any tools you need in the tailgating section.

Good luck.

MidwestExpress

Unread post by MidwestExpress » Tue May 09, 2017 6:48 am

Martin Pansch wrote:Hi Wes.

I'm guessing the actual classes won't be online, just that you can sign up for the classes online on their website.

SOFA is a good organization. Their annual conference had a reputation for being one of the best where you can see some great demonstrators and buy darn near any tools you need in the tailgating section.

Good luck.
That is what I am hoping!

Return to “Introductions - Introduce yourself to the web forum members”