holdfast and drift punch questions....

mn outdoors north

holdfast and drift punch questions....

Unread post by mn outdoors north » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:02 am

Hello everyone, I am in the process of making a hold fast for my hardy hole or pritchel hole... not sure if I should use mild steel or spring steel...
I have heard spring steel will last longer but harder to upset as where mild steel will give a bit overtime.... I know it should be about 4.0" below the underside of the hole....how long of a piece should I use? what diameter should it be to start? I know it should be a bit smaller that the hole itself...

question #2... I need to make a drift punch for my bottle openers, I guess I mean to make the first punch, slitter.... I have the round punches already... what width do you usually use? like 1/2" ,5/8", 3/4" to make the slit and punch it out...also what size flat stock do you use? maybe 3/4"
I need to purchase about 50 feet of this so I can practice on my bottle openers.

thanks,
Gary

ZachC

Re: holdfast and drift punch questions....

Unread post by ZachC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:26 am

This might answer some of your questions: http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.p ... downs/demo

And this one shows a few different types of hold downs: http://www.mooseforge.com/Tools/anvil.html

Overall, the goal is to have something that you can drive into the Hardy Hole that will be wedged in there and will hold what you are working on tightly. For size, the first link says "about 1/6" or 2mm smaller than the hole" so it's not too loose or too tight. The size of stock to use would then be whatever size you want, so long as the part that goes in the hardy meets this requirement. I don't know for sure, but I think any size stock works pretty much the same, other than being heavier when moving it around.

Return to “Punches, Drifts, Chisels and Dies”